Thursday, May 31, 2007

Swimming was canceled once again tonight

I was gonna swim tonight, but I had to cancel it finally. I was called up at work.

It was 10 min. to 6pm. I started to pack things as always. Suddenly, I got a mail from my manager. Actually it's what I am afraid of most receiving mails at this time. After having a quick look, it's a piece of cake. Just a simple business rule needs to be enforced. It will take some time to write codes however and I won't make it if I catch up the company shuttle bus to go home. As I plan to swim tonight, I need take the bus to go home. I asked my manager if I can implement it tomorrow morning. The answer was NO. The rule must be implemented tonight and you must have this done as soon as possible! At the moment I knew I had to call off the swimming. I had been sitting in the office for another 1 and half hours to complete the task. Left the office at 7:30pm and came back home at 9:15pm. My excise plan has been totally ruined!

2 comments:

Vivian said...

I couldnt believe your boss treated you like that, with no respect at all. Here in England, when it's time for you to finish work, no matter how urgent the job is, you just stop and leave, or you get paid extra for working overtime. I guess I almost forget how it is like to work in the Asian culture. You have to be humble, have to be cautious, and need to show respect to any senior staff particularly your manager or boss. I'm just so pleased to be treated equally, not lower than anyone even the boss!

秦人木夫(Ocean) said...

Exactly! How we can balance between our life and work? It's a question for everybody to think about thoroughly. Actually, working overtime continuously is no good at all with regard to effeciency and effectiveness in a long term. And yes, everybody is a leader. Nobody is born lower than somebody. Unfortunately, it's Asian culture even I am working in an US company. Guess what? This morning I came to the office and got another mail. She said what I did yesterday is not necesary any more as she changed her mind! Gosh!

Let me know what you think